Arthritis is an umbrella term for more than 100 conditions, not just one! This is prevalent and causes joint pain and inflammation. Further, it can strike at any age, even in childhood! Fortunately, there are many ways to alleviate pain without using medication.
Types of arthritis
The most common types are:
- Rheumatoid arthritis: an autoimmune and inflammatory disease that occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks your body’s cells, resulting in painful swelling in the affected area.
- Osteoarthritis: the most common type of arthritis often associated with aging or injury.
- Gout! Can you believe it is one of the painful types of arthritis? It is caused by the accumulation of uric acid in the body.
What are the most frequent symptoms?
Though there are many different types of arthritis and symptoms vary depending on your condition, you should consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Joint pain and stiffness.
- Inflammation in or around the joints.
- Difficulty with movement.
- Redness of the skin over the affected joint.
- Muscle weakness.
Making some lifestyle modifications can help you lower your risk of developing some types of arthritis. These prevention tips include:
- Maintaining a healthy weight and losing excess weight to reduce stress on joints.
- People who are overweight or obese are more likely to develop osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Excess weight can also increase the severity of the injury.
- Protect your joints from injury or overuse because they may damage the joint and cause osteoarthritis.
- Ensure that you wear protective equipment when cycling or at work if you are at risk of falling.
- Quit Smoking. Smoking increases the risk of developing arthritis and can make the disease worse.
Tips to control arthritis
The following tips will help relieve many of the symptoms including pain:
- Take some OTC pain relievers, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Go to physical therapy
- Lose weight if you are overweight or obese.
- Engage in physical activities or sports.
Does physical activity actually have a positive effect?
Indeed, regular physical activity can help relieve pain just as effectively as some over-the-counter medications. You can participate in any of the following sports: walking, cycling, swimming, or water aerobics. Physical activity will also give you several added benefits, such as enhanced physical function and mood, as well as reduced anxiety.