You’ve probably heard a lot about vitamin D’s function in strengthening your immunity and protecting you from illnesses during the last year, but is that all it does? Actually, no, as vitamin D plays a role in promoting your overall health thus, vitamin D deficiency may affect your health & the activities you do since it protects you from many diseases & regulates calcium & phosphate in the body to maintain healthy bones, teeth & muscles.
Despite all of Vitamin D’s surprising benefits, we are going to focus on its role in maintaining healthy bone. Vitamin D is essential for good bone health. People with vitamin D deficiency have a higher risk of osteoporosis, therefore they are more likely to have bone fractures.
Are you vulnerable to vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D is known as the “sunshine vitamin”, which explains why you are more likely to have a vitamin D deficiency if you do not get enough sunlight, and of course, this possibility increased after working from home. However, it is recommended to take vitamin D daily throughout the year if you:
- Spend most of your time at home.
- Wear clothes that cover most of your skin when you go out.
- Are African or South Asian, your body may not make enough vitamin D from sunlight.
Vitamin D sources
- Exposure to sunlight, helps your body make vitamin D.
- Eating foods rich in vitamin D such as red meat & salmon.
- Taking vitamin D supplements daily such as Provita D 3 tablets.
- Visiting Health and Style Medical Center where they offer free vitamin D injections.