Suffering from heel pain? It could be plantar fasciitis, which is one of the most common causes of heel pain. But you can usually relieve the discomfort by following a few simple steps. And, in most cases, it won’t be necessary to see a doctor. The following are some plantar fasciitis treatment options.
What is plantar fasciitis?
The plantar fascia is like a thick rubber band. It runs from the heel to the ball of your foot and toes, connecting them. This is why it forms an arch on your heel. Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of this thick band.
What is the treatment for plantar fasciitis?
You should not ignore symptoms or foot pain, because the more persistent the symptoms and the greater the pain, the longer the treatment will take. Some people, such as athletes, may need a prolonged treatment period. Treatment for plantar fasciitis includes:
- Physical therapy and stretching: the plantar fascia and Achilles tendon should be stretched. A physical therapist can demonstrate stretching exercises that you can do at home many times each day. These exercises will also help you stabilize your ankle.
- Modifying your activity: Your doctor may advise you to reduce the distance and duration of walking or running.
- Orthotics such as arch support or another orthotic device to support the heel. You can also use athletic tape to support muscles and ligaments or wear night splints to keep your feet straight while you sleep.
- Shockwave Therapy: Helps relieve pain and speed up recovery time.
- Steroid injections: If symptoms persist after two months of treatment, your doctor may recommend steroid injections to reduce inflammation.
- Surgery: In some severe cases, the patient may need to undergo surgery.
Tips that will help you relieve the pain
You can do some tips to reduce the pain like:
- Take a pain reliever medication such as ibuprofen or paracetamol.
- Rest your foot as much as possible.
- Wear shoes with proper support and cushioning.
- Put an ice pack on your foot for 10 to 20 minutes.
You can visit a podiatrist at Health and Style Medical Center to help you develop an appropriate treatment plan for you. This will help you feel better as soon as possible, and get your health back on track.