We previously talked about the consequences of prolonged sitting and how much of our daily activities have become linked and centered around sitting. So, we should know what we should do to avoid sitting for long periods while performing our tasks and hobbies. Even if you don’t do enough activity in your day, it’s never too late to change things up, enjoy the many health benefits, and live an active lifestyle.
Tips for an active life
Changes in your daily tasks
Fortunately, by making a few simple changes you can stay active, live a more active lifestyle, and avoid sitting for long periods, such as:
- Leave the car and walk or ride a bike, but if this is a long trip, you can walk or ride a bike for part of the way.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator, or go up the escalator.
- Get off the bus stop early and walk the rest of the way.
- Park the car away from where you want to go and walk the rest of the way.
- Calculate how long it takes you to walk one kilometer; you may discover that it is less time than waiting for public transit.
Staying active at work
Can you believe that you can keep active lifestyle during long working hours?! Yes, you can by:
- Taking the stairs rather than the elevator.
- Talking to your coworkers instead of emailing them, when possible.
- Taking your lunch break away from the workplace and, if possible, going for a short walk outside.
- Organizing walking meetings, if possible.
- Maintaining a standing position while reading emails or reports.
- Moving the trash so that you have to get up to throw it away.
- Using the speakers for Internet conference calls and meetings while roaming the room.
Stay active at home
Here are some simple ideas to get you moving while you’re at home:
- Set the TV timer to turn off an hour earlier than usual to remind you to get up and move around.
- Move around when you’re talking on the phone.
- Iron clothes while watching your favorite TV shows.
- Listen to recorded books while walking, cleaning or working in the garden instead of sitting to read.
Be active everywhere
It is tough to work out outside in the summer due to the blistering heat. Keep your active lifestyle but stay healthy; make your choice and don’t allow terrible weather to keep you from exercising! You can engage in activities such as:
- Indoor rock climbing
Your health comes first
If you decide to maintain an active lifestyle and engage in physical activity for the first time or if you have a health condition, talk to your doctor first before taking this step. He or she can help you decide which activities are best for you. You can also consult a podiatrist at Health and style medical center to check your foot health.
But don’t forget to protect yourself from the sun by applying sunscreen and wearing sunscreen, if you are active outdoors.