There is no doubt that exercising is useful and helps us get healthy, but nothing is perfect! And sports injuries are the dark side. However, most sports injuries are preventable and they usually occur due to excessive exercise or the application of more force than the body can handle.
Knowing the causes and home remedies tips can make a big difference, so let’s take a quick look at it:
Causes of sports injuries
Sports injuries can occur for various reasons such as:
- an accident such as a fall
- Not warming up properly before exercise
- Using inappropriate equipment
- Exercising a lot
- Improper training or play
- Wearing poorly fitting shoes
Most common sports injuries
Despite that, any part of the body can be affected, but the ankles and knees are more susceptible. The most common injuries include:
If you are injured or experience pain when exercising, stop immediately since continuing to play or exercise will result in more damage. Then follow the RICE method which will help prevent further damage:
- Rest Avoid using the affected area for 2-3 days.
- Apply ice to the affected area for 20 minutes every two hours for the first 2-3 days.
- Compression bandage over the area that hurts.
- Elevate the affected area above the level of the heart at all times and as much as you can.
Also, consult a doctor as soon as possible, and do not expose the injured area to heat. Sometimes you may need to take analgesic medications for pain relief, rehabilitation, and sometimes surgery!
Before you begin exercising again, be sure you are completely recovered. Start gradually and avoid overburdening the injured area.
You can reduce your risk of injury by:
- Warming up properly and for enough time before exercising
- Stretching after exercise
- Using the appropriate tools for the sport you practice, for example wearing running shoes for running, and shin guards for football
- Following the correct techniques
Tell us if you’ve ever had a sports injury.