Kids’ feet are prone to deformity when wearing improper shoes, and this risk remains until the bones are fully formed. Therefore, it becomes necessary to know how to choose the right shoe for your kid. We all know that kids are eager to go shopping for new fashionable shoes, but here is our rule to help them choose a shoe that fits its function and promotes healthy foot development.
Why should I choose suitable shoes for my kid?
Because kids’ feet keep growing until the age of 18, wearing ill-fitting shoes can affect their development such as
- Short-term effect: Cause pain in your little kid’s feet, along with calluses, ingrown toenails, or blisters.
- Long-term effect: more serious problems may occur such as foot deformities which can affect walking or cause back pain!
When do I start choosing shoes for my kid?
Kids do not have to wear shoes at all to be able to walk. Also, avoid using tightly coiled blankets that prevent kicking and leg movement. Choose socks made of natural materials and try to avoid rubber socks. Finally, let your kid walk barefoot at home.
Tips for choosing the right shoe
It’s time to learn how to choose the right shoe for your kid
- Measure your child’s feet. Ask them at the shoe store if they have equipment used to measure the proper length and width of your kid’s feet. It would be better than trying to do it yourself at home.
- Don’t buy too big. It is true that kids’ feet are constantly growing up to 18 years old, but shoes that are too large make your kid vulnerable to falls that may cause injury.
- Make sure there is enough room in the shoe. There should be enough space in the front of the shoe to help prevent increased pressure on the toes. Make sure your kid can easily move the forefoot in the shoes. Leave 1 to 2 cm between the longest toe and the front of the shoe.
- Choose closed-toed shoes with arch supports made of breathable materials such as leather or fabric.
- Replace shoes every three or four months if your kid is in his growing years.
Finally, the podiatrists at Health and Style Medical Center can help you find out if the shoes are suitable for your kid or not, and always remember that the right shoe is an investment for your kid that will reflect in the short and long term.